As one of the oldest professions in human history, prostitution continues to run afoul of the law and those charged with prostitution or soliciting prostitution can potentially face some very serious crimes.
- Approximately 80,000 American citizens are arrested annually for soliciting sex.
- In a recent nationwide sting that resulted in 1,000 arrests, about two-fifths of the arrests stemmed from online prostitution ads.
- Prostitution and solicitation are Class A misdemeanors punishable by up to one year in prison and up to $6,250 in fines.
- Charges of promoting prostitution are more serious. This is a Class C felony punishable by to 5 years in prison and up to $125,000 fines.
- According to records from the Department of Justice, more than 43,000 women were arrested for prostitution-related offenses in 2010, compared to just over 19,000 men (this number includes johns, pimps, and male sex workers).
- Experience in defense: An experienced criminal defense attorney knows the ins-and-outs of criminal law and how to deal with the court system. Criminal defense attorneys also have experienced building solid defense cases for those facing drug charges and other crimes. Having a criminal defense attorney or prostitution attorney who can examine facts and evidence and provide quality legal representation can be a real boost to anyone who is accused of a crime.
- Penalty protection: Depending on what a person is charged with and their history with the law, a prosecutor can come down hard on someone accused of a crime, even if they were falsely accused. A criminal defense attorney can protect an accused person from harsh penalties and help negotiate deals. A prostitution attorney can also help acquit an accused person of false charges and protector someone against unfair sentencing.
- They do the talking: Hiring a criminal defense attorney ensures that any law enforcement officials have to talk to them first rather than talking to you. This prevents you from being forced to give testimony against your will and making choices you may later regret. Having legal counsel in your corner ensures that you’ll have someone to help walk you through the legal process instead of implicating yourself under duress.
- Saving time: It’s been established that those facing drug and alcohol charges or other crimes like prostitution deal with the stress of being charged. This can be especially true if someone has been falsely accused of a crime. Criminal defense lawyers can help ease the stress by saving you time. Since they know the criminal justice system, they can help speed up proceedings.
- Strategizing: Every criminal case is different, even for those facing prostitution charges and that requires lawyers to be able to prepare different defense strategies. Experienced lawyers will be able to look at the evidence in your case, the events surrounding it and the circumstances and come up with the appropriate strategy to help you. Based on the strategy, a defense attorney will know the best way to help you and represent you.
For those charges having to do with prostitution, not knowing what steps to take may result in penalties and maybe even a jail sentence. It’s important to act quickly and contact a lawyer. A lawyer can help guide a person through the legal process and can also help negotiate an agreement to help a person avoid jail time.
For those prostitution charges, having charges brought against you can be very stressful, especially if you’re at a loss as to how to protect yourself from penalties or jail. You can always choose to represent yourself in a case, but an experienced criminal defense attorney or prostitution attorney can help an accused person navigate the twists and turns of the legal system and help them have a chance to tell their side of the story.
For those facing drug and alcohol charges, here are five ways a criminal defense attorney or a prostitution attorney can benefit you:
Facing criminal charges of any kind can be a scary proposition, but hiring the right prostitution attorney or criminal defense lawyer can have numerous benefits going forward. Sites like Nolo.com can help you find the best legal representation for your case.